Tuesday 19 March 2013

Barça’s Spanish striker has had a great week, with goals against Milan and Rayo and he wants to “carry on like that!” 

“The group is really happy after these last two results, especially last Tuesday’s”
“Physically, I’m at my best – I’ve got over all those little problems that were bothering me and I’m happy to be feeling fine again”.
David Villa was one of the stars of the game against Rayo, scoring the first goal and then setting up Leo Messi for the next two. Speaking on the Barça TV programme “El Marcador”, he explained: “I’m happy to help the team with goals and assists. I don’t normally set up that many goals and I really feel valuable having done so in these last couple of matches. I’m very pleased with how I did this week and now I just want to make sure I carry on like that and help the team to get to the end of the league and the Champions League final”.

Two wins have boosted morale
Villa revealed that the result against Milan had given the squad a great boost: “we knew we could do it, but we knew the first leg result was a bad one and we would need to be at our best. We showed on the pitch all the work we had been doing and between us we carried it off. The lads are happy with these two good results, especially Tuesday’s but also tonight’s after all the effort we had put in and against a team who were very demanding”.

Back to full fitness
After starting both the last two matches, Villa admitted he was feeling good: “physically, I’m at my best – I’ve got over all those little problems that were bothering me and I’m happy to be feeling fine again. I’ve been working hard for quite a while to overcome my difficulties and I’m pleased to get to this stage of the season scoring goals and getting plenty of game time”.
Villa is also ready to play where he’s needed – out on the left or through the centre: “I’ve shown for Barça and for Spain that I can play out wide and I’m happy to play in either position, but the nearer I am to the box, the easier it is for me, as I’ve always been a number 9”.