Saturday 8 June 2013

Former Barcelona defender Eric Abidal says he is ‘annoyed’ with the club after not being offered a new contract.
The 33-year-old, who successfully fought back from a liver transplant to return to playing during his time at the Camp Nou, says he cannot understand why he was released.
“I don’t understand it. I fought for them and am in great shape. The doctor was surprised at my recovery. I feel better than I did two years ago. They didn’t give me any reason and said it was a professional decision,” he told a programme hosted by former French international Luis Fernandez on Radio Montecarlo.
Abidal admitted he must accept Barcelona’s decision but said he felt annoyed that it raised doubts about his physical fitness.
“Inevitably, it calls into question my ability to continue playing football. I am the first person to judge my fitness and I’m not going to put my life at stake.
“That is why I am a little annoyed with the club’s decision. Either way, that’s football,” he lamented.

Categories: